The first meeting of the USS MICHAEL MONSOOR (DDG 1001) Commissioning Committee was held on Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
Sally Monsoor, the mother of Michael Monsoor, dialed in and introduced herself and had an opportunity to chat for a bit. She thanked everyone (in advance) for all the hard work the committee has ahead of it.
Capt Scott Smith, the Commanding Officer of Pre-commissioning Unit (PCU) Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001) was present and discussed the history of the ships namesake and the status of the crew and ship.
- In 2006 Michael Monsoor made his first deployment as a Navy Seal and during this tour he earned the Silver Star.
- Three Navy Seals are alive because of Michael Monsoor’s scarifies in covering a grenade on a roof top.
- The Christening of the ship was on June 18, 2016 in Bath, Maine
- The ship is 97% finished
- Sea trials will happen in the next couple of months
- Schedule is to leave Bath, Maine in September 2018 and arrive San Diego, CA December 2018
- Two-thirds of the crew is still here in San Diego
The committee then discussed some of the various events surrounding the commissioning, budget, invitation process, fundraising plans and responsibilities.
Commissioning Events – Provided for information and Background
- Commissioning Committee Reception. An invitation only event for the commissioning committee and Chairman’s Circle where the committee and Chairman’s Circle have an opportunity to meet the crew, sponsor and see the ship in a smaller, more personal environment.
- Sponsor’s Luncheon. An invitation only luncheon where the Ship’s Sponsor and her guests have lunch with the Commanding Officer and other crew members followed by a private tour of the ship.
- Chairman’s Reception. The crown jewel reception of the Commissioning Week. An invitation only event, attended by Navy and Government leaders, MONSOOR crewmembers and other who have helped with the commissioning efforts with their guests. This reception provides a forum for the Captain, Commissioning Committee Chairman and crewmembers to meet the individuals and thank them for the support of the commissioning and everything they have done to help bring the future USS MICHAEL MONSOOR to life.
- VIP Morning Breakfast. An invitation only breakfast prior to the Commissioning event. This breakfast is an opportunity to meet the principal participants in the ceremony, senior Navy, Government and Community leaders, Industry leaders, and other key supporters of the Commissioning event. Conducted immediately prior to the actual MONSOOR commissioning, attendees are provided a designated parking area and transportation to and from the Commissioning event.
- Commissioning Ceremony. The ceremony marking the official entry of USS MICHAEL MONSOOR into the active fleet of the U.S. Navy. This is an official US Navy event, paid for out of US Navy OPTAR. As such, it is totally run by the Ship and Commissioning Support Team (USN contractors).
- Post-Commissioning Reception. Held at the site of the Commissioning immediately following the Commissioning of this reception provides food and beverages for all attendees and participants. Tours of the ship are also provided.